Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Linux is Texty (IRLS672-Unit 3)

The text element has been very interesting for me in this course so far. Since it's summer and I want to have some fun, I got a PC copy of Final Fantasy VII to play. I had previously played this game on a Playstation 2, but I didn't yet have a game controller for PC, so at the same time I'm learning all of these new linux commands, I've also been gaming using keyboard commands. While I now have a game controller (since it's a lot easier and I can sit further away from the screen), I believe this helped me pick up some of the typing skills needed to navigate. Nano isn't too bad, but Vim has lot of commands to remember and the screen navigation uses the h,j,k, and l keys instead of the regular directional keys. That was a bit hard to get used to, but not as difficult as if I had not been playing FF7 recently =;-)

In terms of configuration, I don't recall doing a lot of configuring with my laptop. A lot of stuff comes pre-packaged and is set up for automatic updates. I'm excited to get into how stuff actually works behind the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment