Monday, July 11, 2011

Planning Ahead (IRLS672-Unit 8)

I thought the Bertot article on funding was very important. One of the main arguments I hear about why library technology isn't better is that they can't afford it. I like the suggestion they made about streamlining the application process because applications themselves can be a huge time commitment that many libraries cannot handle. I also appreciated the importance of sustainability. In any sort of philanthropic program, local people need the tools to maintain, repair, and upgrade any new technologies they may have received from a funder or else the whole project breaks down. This sustainability factor is an important part of technology plans as well. If I'm looking to fund or participate in a project, I want to know that people are in it for the long haul and that the project will go on long after I'm around. This is what I'm currently trying to get my job to look at: what are we trying to accomplish with these new technologies and how will they continue to be sustainable in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment