Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Catalog Record Difficulties (IRLS675-Unit 9)

Creating a catalog record is expensive -- some estimates range from $50 to well over $100 per record. It's also not easy to create good metadata that is consistent enough so that queries across repositories (or even across different catalogers) return precise results. Discuss briefly the challenges you are having cataloging your items in terms of subject listings, key words and tags, categories and other facets. How are you approaching the problem of consistency (or are you)?


Cataloguing seems easiest in Drupal so far since I can easily customize the metadata and utilize some folksonomic tagging as well. My experiences with DSpace and EPrints has been less than satisfactory due to the complex customization systems. I feel that most of my collection would be easily searchable when I have my final product, although with tags there is always the risk of misspellings and such. While I'm the sole manager of the repository, it will be fine, but it would be a lot more complex if it was open to the public. This is an area I need to think about more before creating my final repository.

No comments:

Post a Comment