Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Final Reflection (IRLS675-Unit 13)

This is your final blog post. Discuss your experiences this semester and summarize what you think are the most important concepts and lessons learned:

This was a great class! I really enjoyed downloading the different digital repository programs (Drupal, DSpace, Eprints, and Omeka), working with them, and determining which would be a best fit for my collection. Having a project based on us choosing the focus is really key in getting students to invest in the project. While I chose one of these programs for my particular collection, I also know that other programs might be better suited for other types of collections. In looking at the programs, I focused mostly on usability (how easy is it to create and upload metadata), customization (how complicated is it to tailor the site to my specifications), and presentation (how good does the site look?).

I've learned several things this semester, but I found the hands-on tech assignments the most valuable part of the course and the most fun! I can now create a new virtual machine without reading the installation directions, I can troubleshoot most problems on my own, and I know that I need to take snapshots frequently (there was a situation where my building lost power and reset my computer, thus losing all of my Omeka install because I didn't save the current state).

It was a little weird taking IRLS671 at the same time since Botticelli taught that course and the management section of this course, so I often couldn't remember which course a topic was talked about in. This was kinda good in terms of connecting management and tech aspects in a holistic way. However, it was somewhat frustrating from a student perspective when completing assignments and such. It would have been better, imo, if the management part of this course just got included in 671 instead of a separate part of this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment